Matt's Corner

Class M1: on adventuring to get our actual M1 motorcycle licenses

Matt rushed home one evening and zoomed down to the Temecula DMV to take his driven motorcycle test before they closed…

First lesson learned: the Temecula DMV doesn’t offer the driven motorcycle test…

Attempt #2; he repeats the same procedure at Hemet…

Second lesson learned: after waiting in line for an hour, the Hemet DMV informs him that you have to make an appointment to take the driven test…

Third time’s a charm…

Right ?!?

Test day rolls around, it starts hailing as he is driving up…

Hailing…

???

But he’s determined to get this over with and takes his two wheels over to the course…

Which is Barbie-sized…

Definitely not made for “real” motorcycles…

And he fails… three times…

The bike won’t make the turns…

But seeing as he was the last appointment of the day, the nice DMV lady says he can practice while she goes on her break…

She comes back for his final try…

Fail…

Ok… one more last chance…

He pushes the motorcycle as far right as it humanly will go then he hangs off the left side in an attempt to make that turn without toppling over…

PASS!!!

Now he has to do it again to complete the second part of the test…

First try -> PASS!!!

One driver down…

So I made an appointment to take my driven test…

And borrowed my friend’s vespa (which is technically classified as a “motor-driven cycle” and is in the same class as a motorcycle) on test day…

The best part was driving it from her house to the Hemet DMV…

A whopping 40 mph in the bike lane all the way down Newport…

45 minutes later, I’m checked in and ready…

And some crazy motorcycle guy is giving me every tip in the book while I wait…

Making me follow him around the course again… and again… and again… till I’m dizzy…

Then I’m up…

Part 1 -> PASS!!!

Part 2 -> oops, can I redo that?

Part 2 redo -> PASS!!!

I cheer on crazy motorcycle guy (who’s on a dirt bike) and he passes…

The guy in line behind him has the exact same bike we do; the same model as the one Matt took the test on…

And I’m pretty sure I caught him smirking at my sweet ride once or twice…

So I decide to stay and see if he can maneuver his bike on the miniature-sized course…

He fails…

I would offer to let you borrow “speedy” here, but you seemed to think you were too good for her…

So “speedy” and I zoomed off to begin our trek home…

M1 paper in hand… J

No comments: